The village of Mere grew up at the junction of two major roads and has probably been in existence since Roman times as contemporary remains have been found nearby on the boundary with High Legh. So it is highly likely that Roman Legionaries as well as English waggoners and drovers passed through our village. There would have been several cottages and over the years a school and school house, a blacksmiths, joiner and wheelwrights provided by the local squire and later a post office and two police cottages. There was also a small settlement at Hoo Green around the Kilton Inn which in years gone by was a coaching inn. According to legend the bowling green at the Inn was frequented by the legendary highwayman Dick Turpin. Within the boundaries of Mere are also several farms.
The area was dominated by Mere Hall within Mere Estate consisting of the Home Farm, stables, workshops, several cottages for estate workers and a walled garden. The Hall which has been in existence since medieval times, was home to the Mere family until 1654 when it was sold to the Brooks, later Langford Brook, who were the local squires and owned most of the land. In 1815 the family built the New Hall next to the mere but after tragedy struck the family, when the squire’s wife died and later he himself was drowned whilst skating on the lake, the house was deemed to be unlucky and the family moved back to the original Old Hall. The New Hall became a country Club, later the prestigious Mere Golf Club. Now “The Mere” incudes a luxury hotel and spa. The 1930s saw the construction of the first of the beautiful houses which now line the roads surround the Mere.
Mere Old Hall ceased to be a family home in 1984 and it was sold and converted into luxury apartments. In the grounds still stands a Doomsday Oak reputed to have been mentioned in the Doomsday Book which makes it over 1000 years old. The tree still bears acorns and oak apples in the spring.
The advent of motor vehicles changed everything and in the 1940’ the junction was widened to accommodate the increased traffic. The original cottages were demolished and the ones you see now were built to replace them.
The school and adjoining house escaped the demolition and the school is now a busy children’s nursery and the school house a private dwelling. Alongside them the popular Parish Club has recently been expanded to include the residents of Tabley and renamed The Mere and Tabley Community Club. Residents can play bowls, darts, snooker or whist and the newly extended facility is available for meetings and private functions.
Now the bypass is finished Mere is a very different place. The renamed B5569 has been de-trunked and the junctions at Bucklowhill and Mere Crossroads have been redesigned. A useful pedestrian, cycle and bridle path has been constructed running along the whole length. Our unique AA Box will remain in situ, hopefully refurbished, and the Cenotaph will still have pride of place with the flag flying at the rear on important occasions.